He ate almost 1/2 of this 9" cake!!
Adapted from Jamie OliverIngredients for the sponge
250g salted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing (Use only pure butter)
250g self-raising flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs, preferably free-range or organic
250g fresh strawberries
1 vanilla pod
150g good-quality strawberry jam
150ml double cream
1 tablespoon caster sugar icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon, until very light and fluffy (i use mixer). Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before you add the next.
3. Sift in the flour. Finely grate over the lemon zest then fold it into the mixture (halve the lemon and save it for later)
4. Divide the cake mix into the prepared tins and spread it out using a spatula. Bake in the hot oven for around 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and risen.
For the filing
1. Slice your strawberries . Carefully score the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out all of the seeds.Gently warm the jam in a pan over a low heat
2. Remove from the heat and stir in your sliced strawberries. Add the cream to a bowl with the sugar and vanilla seeds, and squeeze in the juice from your zested lemon. Whip until you have nice soft peak.
3. Smear over the jam and strawberries on the first cake, then spread the sweetened cream over the top. Place the second cake, with the pretty side facing up, on top and dust it with icing sugar
( instead of using jamie's recipe for filing, i whipped 250gm butter, 100gm icing sugar and spread it on top of forest berries jam that i have spread )