Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blackout & Swedish Meatball

Melawati blackout again! Grr.. geram betul! For the past few months, dah few times Melawati blackout. For an internet junky like me, it's so frustrating. Aku nak masak meatball pun terbantut. Yela, takleh nak mintak pertolongan En. Google mencari recipe meatball yang sedap!. Patutnya masak earlier but sebab letrik takde from 2.30pm til 5.30pm, maka aku terpaksa tunda hasrat nak buat meatball tu. Balik from picking up the kids from school, baru start masak. Masa tu dah 7.30pm! Dah la abah ajak keluar, dia nak withdraw duit. Adeh! kena pegi rumah abah pulak to picked him up. Luckily aku memang kena masukkan the meatballs in the fridge dulu before I can fry it.

Tengahari tadi, after sending Iffah to school, I went out with mok. We went to Jusco AU2. Kebetulan, masa tu, ada lean minced meat on 50% sale. I bought 2 packs, maybe about 600gm. Tiba2 teringat meatball K.Min. Aku pun terus beli the ingredients (aku main hentam je beli barang coz tak tengok recipe beforehand). Instead of beli cream, I bought sour cream! Nasib baik ler the recipe that I used, in the review, one of the reader guna sour cream which suprisingly, memang buatkan the sauce sebijik2 rasa mcm kat Ikea.


Swedish Meatballs with Strawberry jam.

Meatballs before digoreng.

Recipe from Food Network.
Ingredients
* 2 slices fresh white bread
* 1/4 cup milk
* 3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided
* 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I added 3/4)
* A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt (guna garam biasa je)
* 3/4 pound ground chuck (600gm of lean minced meat which was on sale kat Jusco.. hahahha.. cheapskate me)
* 3/4 pound ground pork (a definite NO NO!)
* 2 large egg yolks ( I used 1 egg yolk)
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice ( cant find my allspice, I used mixed herb)
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (didnt add this)
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I ran out of all purpose, I used bread flour.. boleh?)
* 3 cups beef broth ( I used 500ml of water with 5 small cubes of knor beef stock)
* 1/4 cup heavy cream ( I used 1/2 cup of light sour cream)


Directions
Tear the bread into pieces and place in a small mixing bowl along with the milk. Set aside.

In a 12-inch straight sided saute pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sweat until ...the onions are soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.

I only followed the 1st two steps, lepas tu, buat steps sendiri. I mixed minced meat with onion, bread, egg yolk, salt, spices, then bulat2 kan, leave it in the fridge for 1/2 hour.

lepas dah keluarkan from the fridge, deep fry it. leceh la nak masukkan dalam oven. so for this step, I followed Jamie's method.. hehe.. bila dah masak, set aside.

in a saucepan, melt few tbs of butter, then add flour, brown it, pastu add the broth. pastu masukkan the sour cream. taste 1st before adding salt coz the beef stock dah masin. if the sauce is lumpy, just masukkan dalam blender, and blend it to make it smooth.


The kids love this so much! Cumakan, a bit salty sebab aku ter add garam lebih. I was in a hurry, tak pikir. But alhamdulillah, still very delicious, according to Iman and Iffah. 

9 comments:

  1. Hello Sizuka, how come selalu blackout? Hujan lebat, bad storm?
    Why don't you buy that small gas stove restaurants use for cooking steam boat, using those small gas canisters?
    This for emergency only.
    Then you can continue cooking.

    We have that for emergency use as Winter sometimes snow and ice too heavy on trees, pokok jatuh brak a powerline, habis cherita.
    But it rarely happens as all lines underground.

    I love your meatballs. Very delicious. Add your sambal belachan, tiga pinggang nasi da tentu boleh lichin, ha ha.
    Have a nice day, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Uncle Lee,

    itu la, I wonder too.. Apasal melawati always blackout. Tun Daim's house is here too, so I assumed that hickups like that wont happen at this area. I guess when it comes to TNB, they dont pilih bulu :D

    Actually, I'm using gas stove. The reason why I cant cooked earlier was because I cant google sweedish meatballs recipe! hahaha.. good reason not to cook kan? :D

    I think if I add sambal belacan to the meatballs, the swedish will definitely pengsan. But that's a good idea. Instead of using jam, use sambal belacan.. hahahaha..

    Lol.. really miss u Uncle Lee. Take care! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh! really? oh.. i was still otw home.. tapi makcik takde inform abt the blackouts pun.. hmm.. no wonder sikecik mengantuk sgt2 smlm.. might be because she couldn't nap well in the evening. kot?
    ps: itu meatball ada lebih tak :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. ju, yes. I tido berpeluh sebab takde aircond or kipas. dah la takleh guna internet. pastu bila rumah i ada letrik, my dad pulak called, tanya ada letrik tak kat rumah i coz his house pulak blackout. ishk! tension sungguh.

    err.. meatball tu dah habis. it was a winner with the kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baru kelmarin terbayang bayang akan meatball ikea nie.. apakan daya kat sini mmg confirm halal kan...... haruslah buat sendiri.... nak kena gi kedai cari bahan....

    ReplyDelete
  6. mummy nana,

    the meatballs tasted almost the same as ikea punya. worth the effort making it. cuma tak larat bab nak menggentel je :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. nak tanye, untk butter tu kan, u guna jenama ape? and then adakah guna clarified butter or just butter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dja,

    I guna butter. I didn't use clarified butter, the taste will be overwhelming. Just guna butter biasa je. Any butter brand will do

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok. tq for the info.. i confuse gak either nak buat clarified butter or just guna butter biasa je... ;)

    ReplyDelete