What did I cooked for dinner? Mula-mula baca about Cannelloni ni, kat blog K.Min few months ago. Pastu nampak pulak Dina's status dalam FB that dia buat spinach cannelloni for dinner. Mana la aku nak cari cannelloni kat Msia ni. Dah puas aku ronda semua Cold Storage, takde jugak. Last2, aku jumpa cannelloni! It was sold at Cold Storage The Mall. Remember the incident masa aku beli kasut sukan tu? Haa.. masa tu la aku beli the cannelloni.
Oleh kerana aku tak penah masak cannelloni before, aku terpaksa la google the recipe untuk masak cannelloni. Initially, aku nak guna tuna. Pastu pikir2 balik, maybe kalau guna tuna, sure banyak leftovers. Maka, aku terpaksa la ganti dengan minced meat. But then, hubby pulak takleh makan daging lembu or ayam. Nak taknak, aku kena pegi Jusco untuk beli minced mutton. I wanted to buy mushrooms too tapi aku bawak duit cukup2 je untuk beli mutton and mozarella cheese. I went to Jusco immediately lepas hantar the girls to KAFA. Wallet pun tak bawak. Ambik duit yang aku selalu tinggal dalam kete je. Aku make it a habit tinggal few RM10 notes dalam kete. Senang kalau nak beli apa2. Kadang2, time keluar without wallet la baru teringat nak beli roti la, susu la, mcm2 lagi. Kalau dah ada duit dalam kete, takyah pusing balik rumah ambik wallet.. hehe..
Recipe cannelloni tu aku dah tokok tambah the recipe from allrecipes.com tu. Suprisingly, the girls love cannelloni the way I cooked it. They said, it tasted better than lasagna. Phew! at least I dont have to worry about left over. Aku masak cukup2 je untuk makan for yesterday and today. They didnt even know that I used mutton instead of minced meat. Shhhh! jangan bagitau dia orang ye.
Italian Baked Cannelloni
Photoshoot dijalankan masa tengah hujan.. tension je.. takde matahari.. huhuhu
Iman & Iffah love this a lot! Mama takat makan 1 serving, pastu telan air liur je la.. sebab kena diet.. huhu
Italian Baked Cannelloni
Recipe adapted from here.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 500gm minced mutton
- 2 onion, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 125gm of shredded Mozarella
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 small eggplant – diced
- 2 tomatoes - diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 cannelloni pasta shells
- To make the Cannelloni Filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and saute ground mutton with the onion; cook until meat is evenly browned and crumbly. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes & eggplant. Let it simmer for few minutes. Add salt.
- To make the Bechamel sauce: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until well incorporated. Stir in milk and bring to a slow boil until mixture thickens. Stir into the meat mixture and mix well. Stir in the mozzarella; set aside.
- To make the tomato mixture, in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute onion until soft and translucent. Add tomato paste and salt. Mix well; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, a few at a time, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; using a slotted spoon, remove immediately to a pot filled with cold water. Lift pasta out with slotted spoon and arrange on a flat surface.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spoon a line of filling into each shell, starting from one end and using your finger to push the filling inside of each shell. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, place cannelloni and cover with tomato mixture (step 3) & mozarella
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until heated through; when finished baking, allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve.