K.Yani and Ju suggested Devil's Food Chocolate Cake. Tapi aku cari2 dalam blog K.Yani, tak jumpa pulak. Ju ada bagi link, tapi rasa macam nak buat something different. Kalau tak jadi, boleh ambik je recipe dari blog Ju.. hehehe.. Anyway, setelah menggoogle, maka, jumpa la recipe dalam allrecipes.com. Ada few chocolate cake recipes yang dapat good reviews. Ada satu tu, nama dia Black Magic Cake, which is actually chocolate cake but ada letak coffee. Since aku nak bagi budak2 sekolah makan, takleh la yang ada caffeine kan. So, I chose One Bowl Choc Cake.
I keep this cake refrigerated for 1 nite. It taste superb!
I made few changes to the original recipe.
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Adapted from One Bowl Chocolate Cake III
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (I used 1 cup of buttermilk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup of softened butter)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two nine inch round pans. (I used 10 inches square pan)
In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs & vanilla, beat for 1 minute. Add flour and milk alternately and beat for another 2 minutes on medium. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. (In my case, aku bakar for 1 hour, 160 degree celcius).
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Adapted from Makcik Martha
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup egg whites (about 6 large)
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 250gm dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Place sugar and egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer set over (but not touching) a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture is heated and sugar is dissolved. Attach bowl to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and continue whisking until cooled and stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- With the mixer running, add butter, one piece at a time, until completely incorporated. Continue whisking until a light, fluffy cream has formed. Stir in chocolate until well combined.
The verdict? The girls absolutely love it! It's soft but not too dense. Rasanya so far, this is the best chocolate cake I've ever made minus the steamed chocolate cake yg penah aku buat dulu. One more thing, this cake tak crack. Rasanya sebab it's moist. So, for the first time, aku dapat chocolate cake yang permukaannya tak macam bulan.. hehe